Monday, October 14, 2013

In the Works





An incredibly talented friend recently did a little photo shoot for our family.  In exchange, she asked that I knit her a scarf.  Seemed fair enough. She envisioned a big, cozy, chunky, loosely knit, soft gray, cable-knit scarf.  I was super excited that she had chosen something that would be fast and easy to knit.

I knew I wanted to use Mirasol's Ushya yarn.  (My local yarn shop had just received a big shipment of this yarn and I was dying to try it.)  Ushya is a super soft and lofty, braided, super bulky weight merino wool yarn.

I scoured Ravelry hunting for the perfect pattern.  But, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  Ultimately, I decided to just write my own pattern.  I started the project on US size 15 needles, the recommended needle size for this gauge of yarn.  But, the resulting fabric was too stiff and did not have the loose, gauzy feeling I was going for.  I went up to a US size 17 needle.  However, that wasn't quite right either.  Ultimately, I decided on a US Size 19 (15 mm) needle which gave me a knitted fabric that was sturdy enough to not get snagged on everything or pulled out of shape.  But, loose enough that it draped nicely and felt soft and light.  I have never knit with such ginormous needles before!  But, it's so fun how fast this project is knitting up!

I have decided to write up the pattern, as it is different than anything I was able to find online.  It will be called the Telluride Scarf and will be a free pattern on Ravelry.  I will update you guys when it's up and ready to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment